- Must reside in the territory.
- Ability to effectively work as a member of a team required.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills are required.
- A strong work ethic and personal discipline are necessary as the Controls Sales Manager is usually required to function as an “independent” businessperson working for Astec, Inc.
- Time management skills are required in order to effectively cover a large customer base.
- Must have the ability to work several efforts at one time to support sales and marketing objectives.
- College or university degree in technical or business field or equivalent experience required.
- Selling experience preferred, not required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and negotiating skills required.
- Must be energetic, highly motivated, and have the ability to function in a high pace environment with varying schedules (travel, priority, time, etc.) and be team oriented.
- Assist Astec, Inc. Regional Sales Managers in the selling of Astec, Inc. controls.
- Promote Astec, Inc. technology, products, quality, and service as necessary.
- Help to strategically position the company to be the preferred supplier of the products and services we provide.
- Prepare written annual plan as required.
- Maintain file on competitors to include information on products, selling prices, strengths, weaknesses, and strategies.
- Must be, or have the ability to become and work consistently toward, a recognized technical expert in our field.
- Must be or become a “consultant” to customers, learning their business and working to fill their needs so they become more successful. A provider of solutions, quantifying the economic benefits of our controls.
- Prepare estimates for formal quotation as necessary to include selecting proper equipment, options to offer, and an effective cover letter.
- Assist Regional Sales Managers and inside sales associates in quoting controls and electrical items as necessary.
- Be close enough with customers to be FIRST on deals, the resource.
- Proficient in presenting ideas to different levels in customer operations.
- Help close deals with Regional Sales Managers as necessary.
- Attain and maintain customer satisfaction.
- Work with the Astec, Inc. Controls Department in programming and/or troubleshooting as required.
- May require travel on service calls and/or paid service calls, including programming services, as necessary.
- Must build long-term relationships.
- Must be an excellent negotiator and facilitator with the ability to find common ground.
- Cold calling skills a must. Cold calling is a requirement of this position.
- Travel itinerary development along with time management skills.
- NORMAL TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: Four (4) days per week. Travel on service and/or programming calls in the field could be more days in a row and long hours. Less travel required when working on controls programming.
Travel can be unpredictable and immediate due to the service aspect of this job.
- PROSPECTING: Call on five (5) companies or more per day in person or by phone, if possible. Prospecting is for controls sales, service, and/or programming.
- Must maintain accurate and current files on all accounts and all orders in territory to include key personnel, accounts payable status, warranty issues, and future projects.
- Following up in a timely manner is required on all issues inside and outside the company.
- Return all phone calls and/or emails the same day if at all possible. Return calls the next morning if contact is not reached on a late day call. Leave clear messages.
- Keep Astec, Inc. management informed on territory activity.
- Check email regularly.
- Turn in every Monday, an itinerary of the upcoming week plans.
- Must have the ability to concurrently handle multiple tasks in a high paced environment, manage individual controls sales projects, set strategic objectives, and meet specific deadlines.
- Must be technically sound on company products, services, and capabilities and work with Astec, Inc. Controls Department on programming and service issues as necessary.
- Must be well versed on competitor products, services, and strategies.
- Will be counted on to work directly with customers and should be recognized as an expert in our field.
- Follow company policies and procedures at all times.
- Follow proper safety rules and procedures at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to meet regular attendance requirements.